IN PROGRESS TRAINING COURSE 1 CEUs HRCI Approved
Employees should not have to make impossible choices between caring for their own health or the health of a sick child or family member and receiving a paycheck or keeping a job. Currently, there is no requirement under federal law, except for federal contractors, that employees be provided with paid sick leave.
In the absence of a federal law, paid sick days legislation has been enacted successfully at state and local levels, and evidence shows they are working well without adverse business or economic effects.
Today, employers are subject to a patchwork of paid sick leave laws making compliance tricky in the absence of a single federal mandate. The proliferation of paid sick leave laws at state and local levels can present compliance challenges for employers, especially for those operating across different jurisdictions. These laws can also burden employers with significant administrative challenges. Therefore, it’s imperative employers understand their state and local laws regarding paid sick leave in order to ensure compliance.
- Understanding current Federal paid sick leave legislation for Federal contractors
- Which States currently have paid sick leave legislation in place?
- The Healthy Families Act and the Workflex in the 21st Century Act
- Which employers are impacted by paid sick leave laws?
- State laws vs. City laws vs. County laws
- Operating across multiple jurisdictions
- Crafting a paid sick leave policy
- Retaliation and discrimination prohibitions
- Strategies to ensure workers are not subject to adverse employment actions when taking sick days
- Permissible reasons for paid leave
- Use of paid sick leave while on FMLA
- Record-keeping responsibilities for employers
- Administrative concerns
- Employer best practice
Why You Should Attend:
It’s no secret that mandatory employer-provided paid sick leave has become a hot button issue in today’s economy. Across the country, states, cities and counties have taken matters into their own hands instituting a patchwork of laws requiring employers to provide employees with an assortment of entitlements. In doing so, employers are subjected to a multitude of obligations, many of which are confusing, complicated, and in some cases, contradictory. As an employer, it’s up to you to protect your organization and avoid fines by ensuring compliance with local paid sick leave laws.
Join this webinar for a comprehensive discussion on the current paid sick leave landscape and learn how to avoid litigation and enforcement actions. Additionally, this webinar will provide participants with information on how paid sick leave legislation can affect an organization’s current sick leave policies and will outline ways to ease administrative burdens.
Who Should Attend:
- Senior Leadership
- Human Resource Managers, Generalists & Representatives
- Managers & Supervisors
- Compensation Professionals
- Benefits Professionals
- Payroll Professionals
- Operations Managers
*Ask your question directly from our expert during the Q&A session following the live event.
**Recorded Version: Unlimited viewing for 365 days ( Access information will be emailed 36 hours after the completion of live webinar).